Hercules® Universal Sink Harness: Step-by-Step Installation Guide
The Hercules® Universal Sink Harness will work on most types of sink installation, including ceramic, stainless steel single or double basin, and even cast iron undermount sinks.
Before installation, check sink (hold up to template) and mark center of sink on the cabinet. Mark the clip locations needed for that specific sink installation to determine path for the harness. The harness wires should be strung so as to avoid the sink drain openings and plumbing. For most installations, there should be three attachment points inside the cabinet. You should use four attachment points for a center drain 50-50 sink (Fig. 1, below).
- FIGURE 1: Clips and Draw Bolt Assembly locations.
The type of sink you’re installing will determine your installation method, and how you locate your clips and string your harness.
- STEP 1: Line the clips up with the edge of the cabinet (two on one side, on most installations) and mount with supplied screws.
- STEP 2: Insert supplied wire up through a clip hole and bend into a "V" shape.
- STEP 3: Bend the upper end underneath lower end to make a bend in the wire, then bring over into a knot.
- STEP 4: Crimp the wire to set it with pliers.
- STEP 5: Repeat steps 2-4 to attach the loose end of wire into the second clip to make a ”V”. The end of the “V” shaped wire should be 2-3 inches from the center of the sink installation area.
- STEP 6: Depending on your sink type, the 3rd attachment point will be either the draw bolt assembly itself or another clip (see Fig. 1). If using another clip, you’ll use both small holes to attach each end of the wire. Loop the wire underneath the clip holes to make a narrow “U” shape, leaving a 6 inch gap between the two sets of attached wires. If using the draw bolt assembly for the 3rd attachment point (See STEP 7) mount the draw bolt assembly directly to the cabinet using the supplied screws.
- STEP 7: Put the draw bolt assembly together.
- STEP 8: For a typical double bowl installation, bend and twist wire to make a loop around the T-nut end of the assembly, then adjust as tightly as you need from the other end, fitting the ”V” end of wire into the bracket hooks.
- STEP 9: Cradle the sink on the harness leaving the wire in the 3rd clip loose. Position the sink evenly 1/2 inch below the surface. Bend and fold bracket if it blocks the drain opening. The bolt has 3-1/2 inches of adjustment. Leave 3-4 extra inches of wire from the 3rd clip to help adjust sink (see STEP 10). For a 60/40 installation, the draw bolt assembly should be centered between the two bowls (see Fig.1). Tip: Use a spirit level to check sink fit below surface of cabinet. Sink should be level and lower than where granite is installed by at least 3/8 to 1/2 inch.
- STEP 10: Once position is established, bring wire under and around each attachment (in clip) and crimp with pliers to lock.
- STEP 11: Run a bead of silicone caulk around to create a watertight seal.
- STEP 12: Use a (cordless) drill or socket wrench to tighten harness below center of sink. As it tightens, the Harness will lift the sink up into position and hold it there. When properly installed, the Universal Sink Harness will withstand 200-250 lbs.of load.
- STEP 12a: Use the same procedure as Step 12 to center, caulk and tighten the Hercules® Sink Harness with an undermount vanity bowl. This picture shows the 3-point install where the ratchet assembly is fastened directly to the cabinet.
- Completed Installation